With a goal to showcase the sheer diversity of games development across the country, the Italian Ministry of Economic Development, the Italian Trade Agency ICE and AESVI, the Italian Games Trade Body have announced their presence at Gamescom 2017 in Cologne.
The Italian Pavilion, which will be located in the trade area of the show, will play host to more than 20 games from 14 different developers, bringing adventure, sports, strategy and horror titles – amongst others – all together under one roof.
All formats are catered for – console, PC, Mac and mobile – including nine games for Virtual Reality and three games for Toys2Life.
“It’s key to us that we spread the word about the achievements of the Italian games industry, and events like Gamescom are the perfect place to connect Italy with the rest of the world,” offers Giovanni Sacchi, Director of the Made in Italy Export Promotion Department. “That’s why we support the Italian Pavilion, because it demonstrates how the long-established Italian flair for creativity that has been so prevalent in the world of fashion and design is also playing its part within games.”
The industry has undoubtedly been boosted by the Italian Government’s decision to extend tax benefits for audiovisual works to games back in December 2016. The legislation brings Italy into line with countries such as the UK and France, which have seen notable growth in their game sectors since their respective tax deals came in.
“The most striking thing about the Italian Pavilion at Gamescom is just how different all of the games we’re taking over are,” added Thalita Malago, AESVI’s General Secretary. “This is the most varied stand we’re taken across to Cologne’s Koelnmesse that I can remember, and it’s really illustrative of what’s happening to the games industry within Italy at the moment.
“Not only are home grown developers taking bold new steps into genres they’ve never attempted before, but so some of our leading lights are also making names for themselves in studios around the world.”
ICE and AESVI will also be holding a wine and cheese networking meet at the stand on Wednesday the 23nd of August, where delegates from across the globe can come together to sample the finest games from Italy while nibbling on some of its trademark refreshments.
The Italian Pavilion, located in Hall 4.1 stand A12/A13/B14 will showcase the following projects:
· Witness: Auschwitz (Educational) for VR, expected 2018
· Project Craver (Working Title) (Action/RPG), for PC and console, expected 2018
From 3D Clouds:
· All-Star Fruit Racing (Racing/Arcade/Strategy), expected Autumn 2017
From Adventure Production:
· Detective Gallo (Adventure), for PC, expected Q3 2017
· The Wardrobe (Adventure), for PC and Mac released on February 15, 2017, for console in pre-production
From Bad Seed:
· Insidia (PvP/Strategy), for PC and Mac, expected Q3 2017
From Digital Tales:
· SBK VR (Racing), for Gear VR and Daydream, expected Autumn 2017
· Bookbound Brigade (Action/Adventure), for PC and console, expected 2018
From Forge Reply:
· Theseus (Action/Adventure), available for PlayStation VR
· Gravel (Racing), for PC and console, expected Q1 2018
From Mixed Bag:
· forma.8 (Action/Adventure), for Nintendo Switch, released
From Storm in a Teacup:
· Close to the Sun (Horror), for PC, expected 2018
From Sylphe Labs:
· Steel Alive (Horror), for Gear VR, expected January 2018
· Thrynx (Puzzle), for mobile, in production
From Tiny Bull Studios:
· Blind (Adventure), for PC, Mac, console and VR, expected September 2017
· TBA (RPG), for mobile, in production
· NH Combine Simulator (Simulation), for PC, Mac, console and VR, in advanced stage of development
· Sim Racing Telemetry (Racing), for PC, Mac, console and Mobile, advanced/final stage of development
From Untold Games:
· The Lesser Evil (Adventure), for PC, console and VR, in production
· Terramars (Strategy/Adventure/Other), for PC, Mac, console, in production
· Runimalz (Action/Racing), Toys2Life for mobile, based on proprietary patented technology
· Globes (Action/Adventure), pat.pending technology with playable prototype for PC/Mac and console
· Hybrid “Phygital” Boardgame (Adventure/RPG/Strategy), proprietary patented technology with playable prototype with mobile App