The first ever Steam Digital Tabletop Fest, celebrating games that cross between physical and digital, will make its debut 21- 26 October 2020.
Produced in collaboration with Auroch Digital, the event will feature virtual let’s plays, panels, talks and more streaming activities that explore the fusion between physical and digital games with legendary designers, upcoming studios, and you.
Working with Valve, indie studio Auroch Digital is helping curate the program of events and line up speakers such Sandy Petersen (Call of Cthulhu RPG, Quake, Cthulhu Wars and more!), Steve Jackson (Munchkin, Ogre, Car Wars and many more), Ian Livingstone (Co-founder Games Workshop and Fighting Fantasy, Chairman Sumo Group plc), Elizabeth Hargrave (creator of the hit game Wingspan) and author and New Yorker writer Simon Parkin talks about how a board game helped the allies win WW2 and many more!
Here’s a look at just some of the other wide-ranging activities happening during the event:
- Plague Inc: Evolved (where James Vaughan, game designer of the digital and physical version plays the digital game’s board game scenario while discussing the design of both versions)
- Othercide (the tactical-RPG blending strong art style, unique lore and challenging tactical gameplay, presented by its Art Director and Lead Game Designer)
- Gloomhaven’s stream, featuring the developers, will discuss the upcoming content for the next major update of Gloomhaven’s Early Access on Steam.
- Virtual panel on games about Mars, where game creators will be joined by actual space agency staff and scientists to ask what games get right and wrong about Mars.
- Virtual panel on Cthulhu games, where some of the most notable Cthulhu-themed designers from digital and physical ask about the cultural impact of such titles and more.
How to get involved
Join in during the live broadcasts to chat to the devs about the topics of conversations and their games, or catch them via VOD if you can’t make the live steam. More panels and talks will be announced as the event gets closer.
The Steam Digital Tabletop Fest features games that run across the lines between digital and physical games; this can be a digital port of a physical game, a game which has produced a physical version from the digital one, a game that simulates the physical play experience, or a digital game whose aesthetics are inspired by tabletop games.